Thursday, 7 March 2013

More tests and hoops..

This past weekend was supposed to be very liberating.  Saturday was my first day back to work in over a month, and my Dad was visiting for the weekend too.  At first work went really great, it was only a 3 hour shift to get me back into the groove of work and I was pretty confident that I could do it.  The whole week prior I had been out of the house almost every day, running errands, going to the mall and light grocery shopping.  I thought for sure that a measly 3 hour shift would be okay.  

Work started out pretty good. I was light on my feet, chatting with customers and having a great time.  I loved it!  Just over an hour in I started to feel pressure in my left foot (the foot with all the issues).  I ended up taking over 45 minutes in breaks in the 3 hour shift.  Once my shift was done I hobbled out to my car and I could feel my toes starting to spasm and I could barely walk into my house when I got home.  

A few hours later I felt better and I was asked to go to the mall for a quick errand.  I thought I would be fine since I had rested and I had gone to the mall several times that week already.  About 20 minutes in I had to head out to my car and when I got home my foot was spasming so much that I started crying and it was very uncomfortable to walk.  Like my foot wanted to contort into weird shapes.  It didn't hurt though until much later.

The whole night I laid on the couch with my leg propped up, and watched as my toes wiggled and twitched all on their own.  Every once in awhile my leg would twitch too.  About 6 hours later I went up to bed and could barely make it up the stairs to my room.  

I got into see my family doctors Locum on Tuesday, and he took me off of work for 2 months.  I have blood tests to do, x-rays of my foot and an MRI of my brain this fall.  I've had several people throw out names like Multiple Sclerosis (I've heard that one lots), Guillian-Barre Syndrome(GBS), Lupus and others.  This will be the 5th blood test I've had since the middle of January, all I want is answers.

The Locum asked me why I didn't just quit my job.  That scared me, should I quit my job?  I just want to know what's going on!  I love my job, and I've missed it so much.  I've worked there off and on since 2005, I really don't want to quit now.  I don't want to be a nuisance to them either.  I bought them all gift cards as a way of saying thanks for taking over my shifts, thank goodness I'm only part-time!

Today I had a Physiotherapy appointment and was the first day since Saturday that I felt better about leaving the house.  I told him what happened and he was pretty concerned.  He checked a nerve (nerves?) that go from my foot and up to my brain.  He had me lay on my back while he lifted my leg, then he had me touch my chin to my chest and told him where I felt any pain, or resistance.  Then he did my other side.  The side where I have issues with my foot was very tight and he said my nerves needed flossing.  He did a bit while I was there, and showed me how I could do it on my own at home.  He hoped that would help me out in the long run.

By the end of February I was feeling fantastic, I was able to go out and about, and finally able to do simple things like grocery shopping, errands, laundry etc.  All it took was one 3 hour shift and I was literally out for days.  When I went to my doctors appointment 3 days later, I had my mom come with me because I wasn't even sure if I could drive myself home after being out for so long. It's not fatigue I'm worried about, it's that my foot gets uncomfortable, and then it starts spasming and twitching, and it slowly goes up my leg if I don't get my shoes off and lie down immediately.

I have no idea what to do in the meantime, I'm back to not being able to go grocery shopping again.  I feel okay around the house doing small simple tasks like laundry, but that's all.  Even going to a half hour physio appointment was enough that I had to rest my foot and leg for awhile.

This isn't exactly a fantastic weight-loss blog anymore, is it?  I apologize! I need to get my brain in the right place.  I keep hitting setback after setback, and it's hard to stay on top of a weight-loss blog when you're life is no longer centred on weight loss!

In that regard I have decent news! I haven't gained any weight, even though I have been through the wringer mentally.  No major binges, either.  I haven't eaten the best everyday, but that's mostly because on bad days I'm not able to make soup, let alone a healthy meal.

I plan on coming up with easy to make healthier foods while I feel like this.  Probably tortillas, crock pot meals and so on.

Thank you guys for still reading! This blog really is my life, even if I don't always have content relevant to weight-loss.


  1. I hope they can figure out what is going on! I know how frustrating it can be to know something is wrong, and have major symptoms, but be unable to get a diagnosis or figure out what is actually happening with your body. Keep your chin up!!

    1. Thanks Erin! It's extremely frustrating, I'm a kind of person who sets out to know something and doesn't stop until she knows. It's hard waiting for a doctor.

  2. Don't stress about not losing weight or writing about it. Think of this as a maintenance phase until you know what's going on medically. Take care of yourself, get the rest you need and do whatever you've been doing to keep yourself from bingeing.

    Can you do your grocery shopping online and have the store deliver it to your home? It's usually a small fee but it would save you a trip to the store.

    1. Yes, this is definitely maintenance mode right now!

      Unfortunately I think shopping online with Canadian grocery stores is rare. At least in my city I can't find a grocery store that will do that.